Courtesy/ Homesteaders Museum - Fort Laramie’s “Old Bedlam” is shown in 1917, prior to restoration. It was constructed in 1849 as the bachelor officers quarters. It was also used for several years as the post headquarters and as a residence for the post commander. Some have theorized that the name, “Old Bedlam,” arose from the activities of the young officers when the building was used as the B.O.Q., somewhat in the same manner as some college fraternities have developed an “Animal House” reputation. Old Bedlam is reputedly the oldest standing building in the state. Learn more about the past in the Homesteaders Museum at 495 Main St. in Torrington.
Share on Facebook